Manor House National Heritage List Data

Manor House is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

National Heritage List for England Facts

List Entry ID
1367642
Grade
II
Name
MANOR HOUSE
Location
MANOR HOUSE, BROAD STREET
Parish
Bampton
District
West Oxfordshire
County
Oxfordshire
Grid Reference
SP 31290 03495

National Heritage List for England Description

SP3003-3103 BAMPTON BROAD STREET (West side) 13/38 Manor House 12/09/55

GV II Large house. Mid C18, possibly contemporary with stables which have date stone inscribed "Gascoigne Frederick 1755". Said to incorporate older building for which little structural evidence survives. South side has extension with early C19 Gothick porch, and Gothick wing rebuilt 1904-5. Refurbished early 1980's. Stucco, renewed 1980's, with stone dressings, hipped stone slate roofs and stuccoed chimneys. East front has tall central block of 3 storeys and 4 bays, with band courses and moulded eaves cornice. This is flanked by 2-storey, 2-bay wings, slightly set back, each with single band course below parapet. 3-pane sashes, those to ground floor renewed 1980's, the side wings with smaller sashes. All sashes have stucco voussoir heads with keyblocks, all reworked 1980's, those over central first floor windows slightly arched. 2 centre bays are slightly advanced, with blind lunette containing 3-light wooden casement at second floor level, and smaller lunette with bust in pediment above. Pediment has stone ball finial. South front has early C19 bay to centre with coped gable and ball finial. This bay has blind lunette in gable, 3-light stone mullion window with Tudor hoodmould at second floor level, and ashlar oriel window in Tudor style below. Ground floor has fine early C19 half-glazed door with radiating semi-circular fanlight, and ashlar porch in Gothick style with battlements, patterned frieze on quatrefoil shafts, and 4-centred arch to front. To left of this is a rubble stone wing, rebuilt early C20, with parapet and 2 bays of tripartite Gothick sashes. Interior contains fine mid C18 panelled room with dentil cornice. Fireplace has eared architrave surround and moulded panel above, and is flanked by tall fluted Doric pilasters which support a triglyph frieze. (Illustrated in Country Life, July 26th 1946)

Listing NGR: SP3129003495