Church of St Michael

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
583023
Names
Church of St Michael
Coordinates
51.1573220° N, 1.8086420° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II* listed building
listed building (England)
Categories
church
parish church
Affiliations
Christianity
Church of England

Location Map

Aerial view of Church of St Michael
Location map of Church of St Michael. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Church of St Michael
Aerial view of Church of St Michael. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

18 Feb 1958

Church of St Michael designated a Grade II* listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Church of St Michael is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1284143
Grade
II*
Name
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
Location
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, WILSFORD
Parish
Wilsford cum Lake
District
Wiltshire
Grid Reference
SU 13478 39802

WILSFORD CUM LAKE WILSFORD SU 13 NW (east side)

8/211 Church of St Michael 18.2.58 II* Anglican parish church. C12, largely rebuilt 1852 by T. H. Wyatt for Giles Loder. Strap-pointed flint with limestone dressings. Greensand quoins to C12 work in tower. Tiled roofs. Nave and chancel in one, with organ chamber on north, a timber framed south porch, by Weaver, added 1869 and C12 west tower. Widely spaced lancets and sill string course. Triple lancets to east end. Ashlar eaves course. Some chevron and other C12 carved stones built in walls. Tower has C12 lower two stages without buttresses, and west door with nook shafts and cushioned capitals. Two round headed windows. Upper stage rebuilt, with corbelled parapet and two light openings. Pyramidal tiled roof. Interior: Spacious, walls plastered and floor flagged. Chancel differentiated from nave by heavier truss only. Nave roof of 3½ bays, open timber trusses with principal rafters braced from hammer beams, and vertical studs above collars. Chancel truss of pierced oak carried on timber wall shafts on stone corbels. Panelled angled ceiling over chancel end. C12 tower arch with chamfered impost capitals, applied balls on north side. Round headed opening from bell chamber to nave. Fittings: Font, octagonal limestone bowl on short column, possibly C17, reset C19. Panelled pulpit. Communion rail, choir stalls and pews all C19 but two probably C17 plain pews near rear of church. Organ by J.W. Walker, 1858 in Gothic case. Glass: In south chancel window, a small C15 crucified Christ set in C14 pieces...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1284143>