The Deanery and Attached Forecourt Walls and Railings

House. Built between 1731 and 1741 and leased to Peter Haynes, gentleman; internal alterations c1810 and c1938. Since 1938 the Deanery, but formerly the cathedral organist's house.

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
571476
Names
The Deanery and Attached Forecourt Walls and Railings
Coordinates
51.8682570° N, 2.2477530° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II* listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of The Deanery and Attached Forecourt Walls and Railings
Location map of The Deanery and Attached Forecourt Walls and Railings. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of The Deanery and Attached Forecourt Walls and Railings
Aerial view of The Deanery and Attached Forecourt Walls and Railings. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

23 Jan 1952

The Deanery and Attached Forecourt Walls and Railings designated a Grade II* listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

The Deanery and Attached Forecourt Walls and Railings is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1271712
Grade
II*
Name
THE DEANERY AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS AND RAILINGS
Location
THE DEANERY AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS AND RAILINGS, 1, MILLERS GREEN
District
Gloucester
County
Gloucestershire
Grid Reference
SO 83037 18882

GLOUCESTER

SO8318NW MILLER'S GREEN 844-1/8/203 (West side) 23/01/52 No.1 The Deanery and attached forecourt walls and railings

GV II*

House. Built between 1731 and 1741 and leased to Peter Haynes, gentleman; internal alterations c1810 and c1938. Since 1938 the Deanery, but formerly the cathedral organist's house. Red brick with stone details, slate roof, brick stacks. A double-depth block with entrance forecourt. EXTERIOR: three storeys, basement and attic; symmetrical front of five bays, on the ground floor the central doorway, approached by flight of stone steps, in stone doorcase with moulded architraves and pediment. In bays on each side and on the upper floors sashes with original glazing bars (4x3 panes) in openings with rubbed brick flat arches. At the rear a central, large, semicircular arched window to the stair well with glazing bars, and other sashes with glazing bars; first-floor windows open onto early C19 cast-iron balconies on brackets. INTERIOR: central entrance hall with fielded panels above fielded panel dado and divided by a transverse, moulded basket arch, with open well staircase to first floor at rear; the staircase with column newels, three column-on-vase newels to each tread, and open string with richly carved tread-end brackets; the room to front on left is lined with excellent early C18 panelling installed by Dean Castley-White, c1935, with chimney-piece framed by full height Doric pilasters and entablature, the fireplace in moulded frame, with central patera in the head carved with a swag and a surround of C18 Delft tiles, above a looking glass in an eared architrave frame; in front room to right early C17 square panelling with two C18 fielded panels above fireplace; in room to rear on right an early C19 fireplace surround and moulded cornice...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “THE DEANERY AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS AND RAILINGS.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1271712>