Remains of Monastic Infirmary is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
National Heritage List for England Facts
- List Entry ID
- REMAINS OF MONASTIC INFIRMARY
- REMAINS OF MONASTIC INFIRMARY, CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
- Grid Reference
- SO 83147 18865
National Heritage List for England Description
SO8318NW CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS 844-1/8/58 Remains of Monastic Infirmary 23/01/52 (Formerly Listed as: CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS Remains of Abbey wall, Abbot's Palace; Little Cloisters & Monastic remains on N)
Remains of the former Infirmary of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter. Early C13. In C17 the east end of the infirmary, formerly St Bridget's Chapel, demolished, and the west end incorporated in a cluster of tenements called Babylon; in 1860 the tenements removed and the surviving C13 masonry exposed and consolidated. Ashlar and rubble. The remains of the aisled infimary hall comprise the lower part of the wall at the west end, six western bays of the south arcade, and two western piers of the former north arcade. EXTERIOR: in the west wall the entrance doorway with moulded arch with hoodmould; the piers to both arcades have attached shafts with fillets, the capitals either moulded or carved with stiff-leaf; the arches of the south arcade elaborately moulded and framed by hoodmoulds with carved stops; above the south arcade the wall is topped by a C19 weathered capping with overhangs supported on corbels. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean: London: 1976-: 222).
Listing NGR: SO8314718868