The Lodge

Villa with service wing. Central square core built c.1830 for Charles Shillingford; remodelled 1862 for Owen Grimbly (of Grimbly Hughes grocery store in Cornmarket) with added verandah and extensions set back to either side, that to south providing new entrance front; billiard room added and service wing substantially rebuilt 1890s. Whitewashed stucco, with ashlar to ground floor of entrance front and cast iron verandah/conservatories to garden; concealed slate roof.

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
547487
Names
The Lodge
Coordinates
51.7813180° N, 1.2701200° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II* listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of The Lodge
Location map of The Lodge. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of The Lodge
Aerial view of The Lodge. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

6 Jun 2001

The Lodge designated a Grade II* listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

The Lodge is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1246138
Grade
II*
Name
THE LODGE
Location
THE LODGE, 304, WOODSTOCK ROAD
District
Oxford
County
Oxfordshire
Grid Reference
SP 50447 09435



612/0/10074 WOODSTOCK ROAD 06-JUN-01 (East side) 304 The Lodge

GV II*

Villa with service wing. Central square core built c.1830 for Charles Shillingford; remodelled 1862 for Owen Grimbly (of Grimbly Hughes grocery store in Cornmarket) with added verandah and extensions set back to either side, that to south providing new entrance front; billiard room added and service wing substantially rebuilt 1890s. Whitewashed stucco, with ashlar to ground floor of entrance front and cast iron verandah/conservatories to garden; concealed slate roof. Central corridor plan. Classical style. 2-storey building with stucco decoration enriched 1862. EXTERIOR. Garden Front: 2 c.1830 bays project to centre, retaining original ground-floor detail with chamfered quoins and architrave surrounds to French doors. Upper storey enriched 1862 with panelled pilasters, central panel, and entablature with plain frieze, dentils and deeply moulded cornice. Parapet has raised centrepiece with moulded wreath. Tall paired casements with architrave surrounds and pediments on scroll brackets. Cornice is carried round narrow extensions set back unevenly to either side, each having a first-floor sash with flat hood on scroll brackets, and doors below to symmetrical cast iron conservatories. These conservatories project with canted ends towards the garden, and have double doors to, and are linked by, a verandah with matching canted centre bay, the whole forming a covered passage around the complete front of the house...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “THE LODGE.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1246138>