Kings School and Remains of Abbots Lodging

Remains of Abbot's Lodging on OS Map The Bishops of Gloucester's palace, now independent school building. 1861. By Ewan Christian, on the site of, and incorporating, some minor remains of the house built c1316 for the Abbots of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter; from 1541 used as the Bishop's Palace; in 1955 the palace converted for use as the main building of the King's School housing principally administrative offices and classrooms.

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
547349
Names
Kings School and Remains of Abbots Lodging
Coordinates
51.8684410° N, 2.2466190° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II* listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of Kings School and Remains of Abbots Lodging
Location map of Kings School and Remains of Abbots Lodging. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Kings School and Remains of Abbots Lodging
Aerial view of Kings School and Remains of Abbots Lodging. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

12 Mar 1973

Kings School and Remains of Abbots Lodging designated a Grade II* listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Kings School and Remains of Abbots Lodging is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1245960
Grade
II*
Name
KINGS SCHOOL AND REMAINS OF ABBOTS LODGING
Location
KINGS SCHOOL AND REMAINS OF ABBOTS LODGING, CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
District
Gloucester
County
Gloucestershire
Grid Reference
SO 83115 18902

GLOUCESTER

SO8318NW CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS 844-1/8/50 King's School and remains of Abbot's 12/03/73 Lodging (Formerly Listed as: CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS Bishop's Palace (King's School))

GV II*

Remains of Abbot's Lodging on OS Map The Bishops of Gloucester's palace, now independent school building. 1861. By Ewan Christian, on the site of, and incorporating, some minor remains of the house built c1316 for the Abbots of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter; from 1541 used as the Bishop's Palace; in 1955 the palace converted for use as the main building of the King's School housing principally administrative offices and classrooms. Ashlar, tiled roofs with moulded copings to gables and parapets, brick stacks. An eclectic mixture of C13 and C14 English Gothic and Jacobean. PLAN: a long, irregular, block set back from and parallel with Pitt Street behind the northern flank of the Abbey and Cathedral Precinct Wall (qv); on the north and south sides several projecting cross wings or gabled features; the principal entrance porch approximately in the centre of the north side under the west end of the former chapel in a parallel attached range with apsidal east end; the former great hall, on the foundations of a medieval range, now the school library, in the central cross range west of the porch with service rooms in wing further west, and the principal reception rooms within the eastern end of the block. EXTERIOR: single storey Great Hall, otherwise two and three storeys, cellar and attic...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “KINGS SCHOOL AND REMAINS OF ABBOTS LODGING.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1245960>