Number 19 and Attached Forecourt Walls and Overthrow Arch

Two former C17 houses on site rebuilt or substantially remodelled between 1712 and 1722, for Henry Abbott, Vicar of Barnwood, now single house, the ground floor converted to doctors' consulting rooms. The date 1725 inscribed on a brick; later minor alterations. Red brick with stone details, slate roof with gabled dormers, brick gable-end stacks.

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
547297
Names
Number 19 and Attached Forecourt Walls and Overthrow Arch
Coordinates
51.8666600° N, 2.2466430° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of Number 19 and Attached Forecourt Walls and Overthrow Arch
Location map of Number 19 and Attached Forecourt Walls and Overthrow Arch. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Number 19 and Attached Forecourt Walls and Overthrow Arch
Aerial view of Number 19 and Attached Forecourt Walls and Overthrow Arch. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

23 Jan 1952

Number 19 and Attached Forecourt Walls and Overthrow Arch designated a Grade II listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Number 19 and Attached Forecourt Walls and Overthrow Arch is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1245903
Grade
II
Name
NUMBER 19 AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS AND OVERTHROW ARCH
Location
NUMBER 19 AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS AND OVERTHROW ARCH, 19, COLLEGE GREEN
District
Gloucester
County
Gloucestershire
Grid Reference
SO 83113 18704

GLOUCESTER

SO8318NW COLLEGE GREEN 844-1/8/86 (East side) 23/01/52 No.19 and attached forecourt walls and overthrow arch

GV II

Two former C17 houses on site rebuilt or substantially remodelled between 1712 and 1722, for Henry Abbott, Vicar of Barnwood, now single house, the ground floor converted to doctors' consulting rooms. The date 1725 inscribed on a brick; later minor alterations. Red brick with stone details, slate roof with gabled dormers, brick gable-end stacks. Double-depth block with small rear wing to left. EXTERIOR: two storeys and attic. Symmetrical front of five bays, a brick band at first-floor level interrupted by stone segmental arches above the window openings, crowning cornice with finely detailed dentil moulding, and at each corner raised and chamfered stone quoins; central entrance doorway in stone doorcase with moulded, eared architraves, pulvinated frieze and pediment, recessed six-panel door and rectangular fanlight with vertical glazing bars; in C19 the doorway moved by one-bay to right but now replaced in original position; on each side of doorway are two sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes) and flush frames in openings with rubbed brick, segmental-arched heads set with raised keystones, stone segmental arches above, and projecting stone sills; on the first floor are five sashes with similar details, but above each keystone a stone block is carved with a projecting, moulded bracket; early C18 sash with thick glazing bars to right; three roof dormers each with a pair of casements with glazing bars...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “NUMBER 19 AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS AND OVERTHROW ARCH.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1245903>