Community House and Attached Wall with Piers

House assigned to the Prebendary of the Fifth Stall of Gloucester Cathedral, now offices. 1774, replacing an earlier house, but retaining some evidence of a medieval range, mid C19 alterations and additions. On the front the ground floor faced in rusticated ashlar and the upper floors stuccoed with stone details, otherwise brick with stone details, hipped slate roof.

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
547292
Names
Community House and Attached Wall with Piers
Coordinates
51.8680910° N, 2.2479390° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of Community House and Attached Wall with Piers
Location map of Community House and Attached Wall with Piers. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Community House and Attached Wall with Piers
Aerial view of Community House and Attached Wall with Piers. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

23 Jan 1952

Community House and Attached Wall with Piers designated a Grade II listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Community House and Attached Wall with Piers is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1245898
Grade
II
Name
COMMUNITY HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL WITH PIERS
Location
COMMUNITY HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL WITH PIERS, 15, COLLEGE GREEN
District
Gloucester
County
Gloucestershire
Grid Reference
SO 83024 18864

GLOUCESTER

SO8318NW COLLEGE GREEN 844-1/8/81 (North side) 23/01/52 No.15 Community House and attached wall with piers

GV II

House assigned to the Prebendary of the Fifth Stall of Gloucester Cathedral, now offices. 1774, replacing an earlier house, but retaining some evidence of a medieval range, mid C19 alterations and additions. On the front the ground floor faced in rusticated ashlar and the upper floors stuccoed with stone details, otherwise brick with stone details, hipped slate roof. PLAN: C18 range facing south adjoining St Mary's Gate (qv) at west end and the Inner Gate (qv) at east end, at rear to left a large mid-C19 service wing; internally a central entrance passage leading to staircase at rear, on first floor two large, former reception rooms. EXTERIOR: three storeys, basement and attic. Plain symmetrical front of five widely spaced bays with the three central bays projecting slightly and crowned by a pediment. The rusticated ground floor is capped by a raised stone band stone, stone crowning cornice with Ionic modillions to eaves and to pediment; on the ground floor the central entrance doorway and on each side two sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes) all in openings with cambered arched heads with rusticated voussoirs; the two windows to right of doorway retain wrought-iron window guards on brackets; on the first floor five large sashes with slender glazing bars (3x4 panes) in plain openings with projecting stone sills; on the second floor five short sashes with glazing bars (2x3) panes in similar openings...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “COMMUNITY HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL WITH PIERS.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1245898>