Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
531418
Names
Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine
Coordinates
51.7828280° N, 1.2734210° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine
Location map of Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine
Aerial view of Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

21 Jan 1994

Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine designated a Grade II listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1230141
Grade
II
Name
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST GREGORY AND ST AUGUSTINE
Location
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST GREGORY AND ST AUGUSTINE, 322, WOODSTOCK ROAD
District
Oxford
County
Oxfordshire
Grid Reference
SP 50218 09601

OXFORD SP50NW WOODSTOCK ROAD 612-0/24/10031 (East side) No.322 Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine II Private R.C. chapel. 1910-11, by Ernest Newton for Apsley Paddox, an adjacent house. Rendered brick and Cumberland slate roof with gabled ends. PLAN: Nave with gallery at west end over a narthex entered on the south side. Later in the C20 a large extension, probably parish rooms, was built at the east end. EXTERIOR: East gable-end has 4-light ground floor window and large 6-light gallery window with segmental arch head with tile hoodmould and cill and with diamond shaped brick ventilator and small stone cross on gable. 4-light north and south side windows. All windows have leaded panes. On the west end of the south side porch with splayed ashlar sides corbelled at top and supporting the canopy roof simple boarded double doors with leaded lights. Wooden and lead-clad octagonal cupola on ridge near east end. Later C20 extension at east end. INTERIOR: Remarkably complete with fine simple joinery. Plaster tunnel-vault ceiling with moulded tie-beams and wall plate. Panelled and glazed screen under gallery at west end with tall wooden balustrade above. At east end a baldachino with panels of Spanish leather and carved wooden canopy. Wooden Communion rail and sedilia. SOURCES: Newton, w.g., The work of Ernest Newton [1925]. Gray, A.S., Edwardian Architecture, p.273. Buildings of England, p.332. Service, A., Edwardian Architecture, p.206.

Listing NGR: SP5021809601

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST GREGORY AND ST AUGUSTINE.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1230141>