Master's Court is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
National Heritage List for England Facts
- List Entry ID
- MASTER'S COURT
- MASTER'S COURT, CHURCH ROAD
- South Oxfordshire
- Grid Reference
- SP 70382 06191
National Heritage List for England Description
THAME CHURCH ROAD SP7006SW (East side) 8/33 Master's Court 24/04/51 (Formerly listed as No.14 (Lord Williams' Grammar School)
Grammar school, now offices. Dated 1569 to inscribed stone panel to central cross-gable. Rendered stone plinth; uncoursed stone rubble with ashlar stone dressings; C20 plain-tile roof; stone end stacks with brick diagonally-set flues. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range: 1:3:1. Ribbed and studded door to central Tudor-arched doorway with chamfered surround and hood mould. 2-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds and metal casements to ground floor except C19 angled bay window, with stone hipped roof, to left, having stone mullion windows. Panel with armorial crest of Lord Williams of Thame above door. 3-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds and metal casements to first floor left, centre, and right. 2-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds and metal casements to left and right of centre. Parapetted cross-gable to entry with 4-light stone mullion window with hood mould and metal casement. Mid C19 gabled full dormers to left and right with 2-light stone mullion windows. Interior: mid C16 stone fireplaces to most rooms. C20 staircase from ground floor to attic. Queen post roofs. History: school founded by Lord Williams of Thame in 1558. C20 additions to rear are not of special architectural interest. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1979, p.814).
Listing NGR: SP7038206191