Church of St Andrew

- Anglican parish church. Early C13 nave, mid-C13 chancel, restoration of 1845. Limestone and flint chequers, tiled roof with coped verge to west, timber bellcote.

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
487207
Names
Church of St Andrew
Coordinates
51.1872190° N, 1.8962140° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II* listed building
listed building (England)
Categories
church
parish church
Affiliations
Christianity
Church of England

Location Map

Aerial view of Church of St Andrew
Location map of Church of St Andrew. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Church of St Andrew
Aerial view of Church of St Andrew. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

18 Feb 1952

Church of St Andrew designated a Grade II* listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Church of St Andrew is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1181917
Grade
II*
Name
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
Location
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, AMESBURY ROAD
Parish
Shrewton
District
Wiltshire
Grid Reference
SU 07349 43115

SHREWTON AMESBURY ROAD, Rollestone SU 04 SE (off west side) 3/225 Church of St. Andrew 18/2/52 GV II* - Anglican parish church. Early C13 nave, mid-C13 chancel, restoration of 1845. Limestone and flint chequers, tiled roof with coped verge to west, timber bellcote. Consists of nave, small chancel, south porch and bellcote over west end. Gabled south porch has coped verge to tiled roof, C19 Tudor-arched doorway has hoodmould with foliated terminals. To right is large 4-light Perpendicular window of c1500 with hoodmould with carved head terminals, east gable of nave has cusped wooden barge boards. South side of chancel has single lancet, east end has C19 2-light pointed window with hoodmould and small lancet over, north side has single lancet with hoodmould. North side of nave is rendered and has one fine 3-light Perpendicular window of c1400, with hoodmould and carved head terminals, to right is blocked chamfered pointed doorway. West end has one 2-light C16 window with cusped lights and square head, above is one small lancet. Interior: Plain plastered walls and stone floor. Nave has very shallow pitched ceiling on C16 cambered moulded beams, chancel has pointed barrel-vaulted roof. Double-chamfered chancel arch on C19 carved head corbels. Fine fittings include early C13 cylindrical font with Cl7 crown cover, C17 pews have wainscot-panelled backs, Cl7 bench ends with fine strapwork and reeded decoration and semi- circular heads were brought here from St. Catherine at Haydon in Dorset in 1981...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “CHURCH OF ST ANDREW.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1181917>