Chapel c. 10 M S of Prebendal is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
National Heritage List for England Facts
- List Entry ID
- CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH OF THE PREBENDAL
- CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH OF THE PREBENDAL, PRIEST END
- South Oxfordshire
- Grid Reference
- SP 70219 06359
National Heritage List for England Description
THAME PRIEST END SP7006SW (North-west side) 8/144 Chapel approx. 10m. S of the 24/04/51 Prebendal (Formerly listed as Prebendal (comprising House, Chapel and block to west of Chapel, with connecting wall)
Chapel. c.1250, restored 1910 and 1936-9. Uncoursed stone rubble with ashlar stone dressings; old plain-tile roof. Early English style. 2-storey, 2-bay range. Basket-arched doorway with plank door to right. 2 lancets to first floor. East end: graduated triplet of lancets. Interior: reset piscina to ground floor. Chapel to first floor approached by external C20 open wood staircase. Piscina with shouldered arch to right of east window. East window has slender detached shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Single-framed coupled-rafter roof with braced collars. History: a prebend was established c.1140 by the Bishop of Lincoln. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1979, p.812-4).
Listing NGR: SP7021906360