- 10 Jul 2002
Diamond Cottages designated a Grade II listed building
Diamond Cottages is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- DIAMOND COTTAGES
- DIAMOND COTTAGES, BANBURY ROAD
- Grid Reference
- SP 50923 08799
612/0/10087 BANBURY ROAD 10-JUL-02 Summertown Diamond Cottages
Terrace of 4 cottages, early/mid-C19 (Nos.3 and 4 likely c.1830/40 with Nos.1 and 2 added soon after). Nos.3 and 4 timber-framed with brick party walls, Nos.1 and 2 rendered brick all under hipped tile roof. Wood hornless sashes. 4 attached 2-storey cottages, pair to west slightly later and now under continuous roof.
PLAN: Rectangular range of 4 attached cottages with through-passage at west end to rear yards. Each cottage 2-rooms-deep and with small 2-storey rear outshuts.
EXTERIOR: South elevation comprises facades of panelled doors with overlights, and large 8-over-8 sashes to ground floor below large 8-over-8 sashes to first floor. All sashes hornless and set in reveals with shallow projecting cills. No.1 at west end with arched through-passage off which is entrance to this cottage. 2 shared stacks in hipped tiled roof with overhanging eaves. North elevation with gabled 2-storey, 1-room-deep outshut to each cottage, that to No. 1 enlarged in late-C20. Wood 6-over-6 sash to each cottage at ground floor below same at first floor. East elevation with second floor 6-over-6 wood sash, and West elevation blank, both with overhanging eaves.
INTERIOR: Each cottage with similar plan of side entrance directly into hall with living room. Dining room and stair to rear cell and kitchens in rear outshut. Individual stone cellar beneath each cottage with brick relieving arch under chimneystacks...
- Somerville House, Oxford 0.136 mi away
- Stone in Woodstock Road Inside Number 243, Oxford 0.229 mi away
- 1, Belbroughton Road 0.245 mi away
- St Edwards School, Apsley House; St Edwards School, Big School; St Edwards School, Chapel;, Oxford 0.274 mi away
- 23, S Parade, Oxford 0.290 mi away
- Church of St Michael and All Angels 0.293 mi away
- 121, Banbury Road 0.311 mi away
- 275 and 277, Banbury Road 0.315 mi away
- J. R. R. Tolkien House, Oxford 0.331 mi away
- 20, Nmoor Road 0.339 mi away
- 7, Linton Road 0.402 mi away
- Oxford Canal Bridge Number 238 0.470 mi away
- Wolfson College 0.478 mi away
- Gatepiers and Walls to E of Lodge 0.485 mi away
- 105, Banbury Road 0.493 mi away
- “DIAMOND COTTAGES.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061369>