Monkery Farmhouse is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
National Heritage List for England Facts
- List Entry ID
- MONKERY FARMHOUSE
- MONKERY FARMHOUSE, CHURCH ROAD
- Great Milton
- South Oxfordshire
- Grid Reference
- SP 62943 02715
National Heritage List for England Description
GREAT MILTON CHURCH ROAD SP60SW (West side) 5/109 Monkery Farmhouse 18/07/63
Farmhouse, now house. Early C17 and later. Limestone rubble with squared quoins; plain-tile roof with brick stacks. L-plan. 3 storeys. Present entrance front in gable wall of wing projecting from right of main range. Doorway is flanked by 2 large projecting stone stacks with many sloping offsets; fenestration of sashes and casements. Hipped roof over C18 brick dentil course with outshut to left. Main range to rear has 2 stone mullioned windows of 3 lights with ovolo mouldings to left of entrance wing and in the left gable wall. 2-window garden front to right has C18 sashes at ground and first floors and 3-light casements at second floor. 4-window rear of main range has mostly 3-light casements. Large C17 brick stack at junction of main range with wing has 3 diagonal shafts and is partly buried in the present roof. Interior: Chamfered and stopped beams in entrance wing; partitions of light timber framing; 4-bay roof to main range with 2 rows of clasped purlins; cellar with heavy flat joists above. Formerly the prebendal farmhouse of "Milton Ecclesia". Bought by John Cave in 1650 and enlarged, probably by building the entrance wing. Roofs raised in C18 and house much altered subsequently. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VII, pp. 118-19).
Listing NGR: SP6294302715