- Go Historic ID
- Church of St Peter
- Listed on
- Grade II listed buildinglisted building (England)
- churchparish church
- ChristianityChurch of England
- 12 Jan 1954
Church of St Peter designated a Grade II listed building
Church of St Peter is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, FIRST TURN
- Grid Reference
- SP 49668 09846
612/17/8 FIRST TURN 12-JAN-54 Wolvercote CHURCH OF ST PETER
II DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: Early C14 W tower. Remainder rebuilt 1860 to designs by Charles Buckeridge. Vestry 1835
MATERIALS: Coursed limestone rubble and limestone dressings. Reconstituted stone slates replaced the former Stonesfield stone slates in 1977.
PLAN: Nave, slightly lower chancel, N aisle with small mortuary chapel off, W tower, N transept, S porch.
EXTERIOR: The squat W tower, thought to date from the C14, survives from the medieval building and consists of two stages. The lower and taller has a W doorway with a square-headed Perpendicular doorway and above this a W window of three-lights with Perpendicular tracery. The upper stage has two-light belfry windows and the top of the tower has a restored embattled parapet. The body of the church was rebuilt in 1860 and has windows of one and two lights based on C13 prototypes. The E window is of five-lights with Geometrical tracery. At the W end of the N aisle there is a pair of trefoil headed windows with a sexfoiled circle above.
INTERIOR: The walls are plastered and whitened. The arcade to the N aisle has piers of quatrefoil section, moulded arches, capitals and bases. The chancel arch is plainer with a chamfered head, thin imposts and plain reveals with a simple chamfering.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The oldest feature is the Norman font. This is tub-shaped with a circular tapering bowl with incised diaper decoration...
- Church Hall of Church of St Peter, Oxford 0.008 mi away
- Old Church House 0.027 mi away
- Church Farmhouse, Oxford 0.046 mi away
- 42, Wolvercote Green, Oxford 0.099 mi away
- Stone in Woodstock Road Outside Number 385 0.127 mi away
- Manor Farm, Oxford 0.129 mi away
- Oxford Canal Bridge Number 236 (Wolvercote Green) 0.180 mi away
- Oxford Canal Bridge Number 235 (Godstow Road Bridge) 0.190 mi away
- Oxford Canal Bridge Number 234, Oxford 0.349 mi away
- Oxford Canal Tilting Bridge c. 650 M SE of Duke's Cut, Oxford 0.349 mi away
- 67, Godstow Road 0.369 mi away
- Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine 0.371 mi away
- Field House, Oxford 0.457 mi away
- Summertown House 0.469 mi away
- The White Hart Public House 0.510 mi away
- “CHURCH OF ST PETER.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1047300>