Church of St Mary, Shrewton

Anglican parish church, now redundant. C13, C14 and C15 with Cl7 rebuilding of nave, tower, chancel and south transept, restorations of 1843 and of 1846 by T. H.

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
336358
Names
Church of St Mary
Coordinates
51.1931430° N, 1.9053740° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II* listed building
listed building (England)
Categories
church
parish church
Affiliations
Christianity
Church of England

Location Map

Aerial view of Church of St Mary, Shrewton
Location map of Church of St Mary, Shrewton. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Church of St Mary, Shrewton
Aerial view of Church of St Mary, Shrewton. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

18 Feb 1958

Church of St Mary designated a Grade II* listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Church of St Mary is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1023959
Grade
II*
Name
CHURCH OF ST MARY
Location
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MADDINGTON STREET
Parish
Shrewton
District
Wiltshire
Grid Reference
SU 06708 43773

SHREWTON MADDINGTON STREET SU 04 SE (off south side) 3/256 Church of St. Mary 18/2/58 GV II* Anglican parish church, now redundant. C13, C14 and C15 with Cl7 rebuilding of nave, tower, chancel and south transept, restorations of 1843 and of 1846 by T. H. Wyatt and D. Brandon. Limestone and flint cheqeurs, flint rubble tower, rebuilt in ashlar, tiled and slated roof. Consists of nave, south aisle, south transept, chancel, west tower and north porch. Gabled north porch of 1603 has diagonal buttresses and coped verges, Tudor-arched doorway with cyma and hollow mouldings. Nave has deep moulded plinth and to right a 3-light cusped square-headed window with hoodmould, to left is 4-light square-headed window and 2-light cusped square-headed window, both with hoodmoulds, parapet with saddleback coping. Chancel has two lancets to north side and same parapet as nave, east end has three C19 lancets, south side has chamfered pointed priest's doorway with planked door, either side is lancet. East wall of mid-Cl7 south transept has one 2-light cusped square-headed window with hoodmould, south side has 2-light C19 pointed window with hoodmould. South aisle has blocked Tudor-arched doorway to right and one 3-light and one 2-light cusped C16-style windows, with hoodmoulds, west end of aisle has single lancet. 3-stage tower retains C13 walling on north side, rest rebuilt 1637; 2-light cusped square-headed window to west, string course to bell stage which has 2-light cusped pointed window with stone louvres to north, south and west faces, shallow-pitched roof...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “CHURCH OF ST MARY.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1023959>