Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn Images

Statue of St. James the Greater attributed to Hans Rupprecht Hoffman the Younger, 1631. From a large altar with other saints in the church of Bremm/Mosel. St James is equipped with the hat, coat and bag of a pilgrim. Scallop shells appear on his hat brim and collars to symbolize the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela (where the saint's grave is). The role of St. James as protector of pilgrims explains the spread coat, under which pilgrims find shelter. Credit: Holly Hayes. All Rights Reserved.


Image ID
1998
Title
St. James as Protector of Pilgrims (1631)
Date
January 24, 2008
Location
Date
January 24, 2008
Coordinates
50.7320670° N, 7.0927050° E
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Image Type
digital photo
File Type
jpg
Camera
Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Focal Length
50
Iso
800
Keywords
art, bonn, c17, germany, greater, jacobus, james, landesmuseum, museum, pilgrims, protector, rheinisches, saint, scallop, sculpture, shell, statue, year1631
Creator
Holly Hayes
Source
EdStockPhoto

License This Image