Thame Church is a parish church in Oxfordshire built mostly in the early 13th century. Surprisingly large and impressive for the modest size of its village, it has a number of interesting features, including a wall painting, tombs, monuments, gargoyles and carved corbels.
- Go Historic ID
- Church of St MaryThame Church
- 24 Apr 1951
Church of St Mary designated a Grade I listed building
Church of St Mary is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD
- South Oxfordshire
- Grid Reference
- SP 70385 06318
THAME CHURCH ROAD SP7006SW (East side) 8/29 Church of Saint Mary 24/04/51 (Formerly listed as St. Mary's 8 Church)
Church. Early C13 chancel, nave, transepts, and tower. C14 widening of aisles, south porch; late C14 clerestory and upper stages to tower; mid C15 reconstruction of north and south transepts; restoration of c.1889 by J.O. Scott. Squared coursed stone with ashlar stone dressings; lead roofs to aisles, roofs of nave, chancel, transept and tower not visible; various stone stacks. 5-bay aisled nave, tower, 6-bay chancel, and transepts. 2-storey porch with 2-centre moulded archway; 2-bay quadripartite vault with carved bosses; stone benches to east side of porch; C19 double plank doors with decorative wrought-iron hinges to 2-centred moulded stone doorway with hood mould having faces to end stops. First floor of porch has ogee-canopied image recess to centre with C20 statue of St. Mary, flanked by trefoiled lancets. 3-light reticulated tracery windows to aisle and chancel. 2-light Perpendicular tracery windows to clerestory of nave. 5-light Perpendicular tracery window to south end of south transept. 5-light rectilinear tracery window to west side of south transept. Plain parapet to chancel, aisles, and transept, battlemented parapet to clerestory. North side: early English doorway with plank door to right of chancel. 4 lancets to chancel. 3-light Plate tracery window to right of chancel. light reticulated tracery windows to aisle. 2-light Perpendicular tracery windows to clerestory...
- Spirit, Thame 0.050 mi away
- Master's Court 0.083 mi away
- Entrance Gateway c. 15 M NW of Master's Court 0.083 mi away
- 1-6, Church Road 0.093 mi away
- Barn c. 2 M N of Lashlake House 0.093 mi away
- Lashlake House 0.096 mi away
- Bandstand c. 15 M SW of Master's Court, Thame 0.097 mi away
- Chapel c. 10 M S of Prebendal 0.098 mi away
- 54, High Street 0.099 mi away
- Wool Warehouse; Wool Warehouse Adjoining Jasmine Cottage 0.104 mi away
- The Almshouse, Thame 0.105 mi away
- Solar and Attached Wall c. 15 M SW of Prebendal, Thame 0.111 mi away
- Stribblehills 0.111 mi away
- 51 and 52, High Street 0.112 mi away
- Jasmine Cottage, Thame 0.112 mi away
- Pevsner, Sir Nikolaus and Jennifer Sherwood. Buildings of England: Oxfordshire. Yale University Press, 1996, pp. 806-07.
- Official Website of Church of St Mary. Web. Accessed 1 Nov. 2016. <http://www.stmarysthame.org.uk/>
- “CHURCH OF ST MARY.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1194053>