The monastic cathedral of Peterborough features an unusual triple facade, a medieval painted ceiling and the tomb of Catherine of Aragon.
- Go Historic ID
- Peterborough Cathedral
- Year Constructed
- Any Web Link
National Heritage List for England Data
Peterborough Cathedral is listed on the National Heritage List for England, with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing.
- List Entry ID
- Listing Type
- listed building
- CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PAUL AND ST ANDREW
- CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PAUL AND ST ANDREW, PRECINCTS
- City of Peterborough
- Grid Reference
- TL 19416 98645
National Heritage List for England Description
The following text is courtesy of Historic England. Text © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing.
819/1/1 PRECINCTS 07-FEB-52 PETERBOROUGH CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PAUL AND ST ANDREW
TL 1998 NW 1/1 7.2.52
Rebuilding, after a disastrous fire, commenced in 1118 under Abbot John de Seez. Barnack stone. Nave circa 1150, west end circa 1177. West front and main consecration in 1238. Tower 1315. Porch late Cl4. Windows mainly renewed in C14 and C15. Main restoration by J L Pearson in 1882-6. Specially Important:- Nave ceiling of circa 1220, decorated with lozenge shaped panels containing the figures of kings, queens, saints, monsters etc. Retrochoir of 1496-1508 has 4 and 3 light windows with panel tracery separated by buttresses. Open parapet with seated figures on the tops of the buttresses. The interior has a handsome fan-vaulted roof on slender shafts, possibly designed by John Wastell who worked at King's College Cambridge. Monuments: Hedda Stone of circa 800 - grey stone with a pitched roof, carved with an inhabited scroll with stiffly carved frontal figures. Effigies in Alwalton marble of 4 abbots of between 1195 to 1225. Remains of the tomb of Queen Katharine of Aragon. C15 brass lectern. Glass of 1862 by Morris, Marshall and Faulkner in the south transept on the south wall. VCH (Northants) Vol II. NMR.
Listing NGR: TL1941698645