Church of St James Little Milton, England

Church of St James
Holly Hayes All Images »

The Church of St James in Little Milton, Oxfordshire, was built in 1844 and is characterized by a long nave and chancel and tall west tower.

Go Historic ID
249283
Best Known As
Church of St James
Full Name
Church of St James
Also Known As
Little Milton Church
Coordinates
51.702031° N, 1.107452° W  (map)
Address
Little Milton, England

National Heritage List for England Data

Listing Type
listed building
Listing Status

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

List Entry ID
1369190
Date Listed
7/18/1963
Grade
II
Location
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH HILL
Parish
Little Milton
District
South Oxfordshire
County
Oxfordshire
Description

SP 6100 LITTLE MILTON CHURCH HILL (West side) 13/76 Church of St James 18/07/63 - II Church. 1844, tower 1861. By John Hayward of Exeter. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; concrete plain-tile roof. 4-bay aisleless nave with short chancel, west tower, south porch and vestry to north of chancel... view full text

Listed Building Description

SP 6100 LITTLE MILTON CHURCH HILL (West side) 13/76 Church of St James 18/07/63 - II

Church. 1844, tower 1861. By John Hayward of Exeter. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; concrete plain-tile roof. 4-bay aisleless nave with short chancel, west tower, south porch and vestry to north of chancel. Late C14 style. East and west windows are of 3 traceried lights, the rest of 2 except for a cinquefoil lancet in the chancel south wall. Bays are defined by buttresses and the windows have hood-moulds with carved heads, the east window with "I H S" on shields in panels beneath the lights. West tower of 3 unequal stages, the top stage with pairs of traceried 2-light openings having the central pier rising from gables over the clock faces; crenellated parapet with panelled bases for missing corner pinnacles over string-course with carved heads, foliage and winged gargoyles at angles. Interior: Chancel and tower arches have continuous mouldings; roofs are panelled, springing from carved corbels. The bowl of a medieval piscina is re-used in the chancel. Fittings are of oak and include an elaborate reredos of 1901 by Hems of Exeter. Glass in east window and 2 eastern nave windows is of 1854 by Willement; glass in west window and window to west of porch is of 1869 by Heaton, 8utler and Bayne. (V.C.H. Oxfordshire VII; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, p.687)

Listing NGR: SP6178200744

Further Resources

  1. “The National Heritage List for England”, /resultsingle.aspx?uid=1369190. “Historic England”. June 6, 1995.