Built 1093-1133, Durham Cathedral is considered one of the finest examples of Norman architecture in England.
- Go Historic ID
- Cathedral Church of Christ and St. Mary the VirginCathedral Church of Christ, Blessed Mary the Virgin and St Cuthbert of DurhamDurham Cathedral
Monks from Lindisfarne settle in Durham
- 12 Aug 1093
Construction begins on Durham Cathedral
- 31 Dec 1540
Durham Monastery Dissolved
- 6 May 1952
Durham Cathedral designated a Grade I listed building
Durham Cathedral is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF CHRIST AND ST.MARY THE VIRGIN
- CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF CHRIST AND ST.MARY THE VIRGIN, PALACE GREEN
- County Durham
- Grid Reference
- NZ 27346 42123
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE PALACE GREEN NZ 2742 SW (South side)
14/365 Cathedral Church of 6/5/52 Christ and St. Mary the Virgin
Cathedral church, originally of Benedictine Priory, refounded 1541 as secular cathedral.
Main body 1093-1130, begun by Bishop William of St. Calais; Galilee 1189 for Bishop le Puiset. West tower tops, east bay and Chapel of 9 altars, 1242- c.1280. 1464-88 tower top stage. Restorations of late C18, early C19 and mid C19, notably by Bonomi and Jackson, Pickering and Robson and Fowler. Dressed sandstone; slate roofs. Cruciform with aisles, east transept aisles, transeptal eastern chapel, crossing tower, twin west towers and western Galilee. Galilee one storey with battlemented parapet and richly-moulded north entrance. Large, restored C14 and C15 windows. West towers have 4 lower stages aligned with those on nave: all have shafted round-arched openings (those on south side enriched), the ground stage a blank arcade, the clerestory set back under a corbel table. Elaborately-moulded opposed entrances in second nave bays have medieval doors, the north now with replica of sanctuary knocker. 2 upper stages to towers have pointed-arched openings under bands of blank arcading; corbel table below pierced battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Transepts have outer west stair turrets, blank arcading and large inserted Perpendicular windows north and south. Crossing tower of 2 stages with tall openings under crocketed ogee hoods, and high, pierced parapet...
- Cathedral Cloister E Range 0.035 mi away
- Abbey House (Department of Theology) 0.038 mi away
- Pemberton Buildings 0.042 mi away
- Durham Light Infantry S African War Memorial 0.045 mi away
- Dun Cow Cottage 0.045 mi away
- Tomb of Dean Kitchin 0.048 mi away
- Almshouses Restaurant 0.052 mi away
- Cathedral Cloister W Range 0.055 mi away
- The Deanery 0.055 mi away
- Maintenance Shed and Workshops, and Arch Attached to N 0.058 mi away
- 38, N Bailey 0.058 mi away
- St Chad's College; St Chad's College Lightfoot House 0.065 mi away
- St Mary Le Bow Heritage Centre 0.068 mi away
- Wall with Entrance Arch and Mounting Block, Opposite to Nos. 19-22A Consecutive 0.070 mi away
- St Chad's 0.071 mi away
- Shipley, Debra. Durham Cathedral (Travels to Landmarks). Tauris Parke, 1990.
- Official Website of Durham Cathedral. Web. Accessed 1 Nov. 2016. <http://www.durhamcathedral.co.uk/>
- Publishing, Third Millennium. Durham Cathedral: Light of the North. Third Millenium Pub Ltd, 2007.
- “CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF CHRIST AND ST.MARY THE VIRGIN.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1161023>