This ancient city was the capital of a powerful pre-Inca civilization that dominated the Andean region between 500 and 900. Its monumental remains include several temples, a pyramid, symbolic gates and sculptures.
- Kolata, Alan L.. The Tiwanaku: Portrait of an Andean Civilization. Wiley-Blackwell, 1993.
- Kolata, Alan L.. Valley of the Spirits: A Journey Into the Lost Realm of the Aymara. Wiley, 1996.
- Janusek, John Wayne. Ancient Tiwanaku. Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Young-Sanchez, Margaret (ed.). Tiwanaku: Ancestors of the Inca. University of Nebraska Press, 2004.
- Young-Sanchez, Margaret (ed.). Tiwanaku: Papers from the 2005 Mayer Center Symposium at the Denver Art Museum. Denver Art Museum, 2009.