A Byzantine wonder that looks more like Istanbul than Italy, the 11th-century Basilica di San Marco is covered in domes, lined with golden mosaics, and filled with ancient art treasures.
- Go Historic ID
- Basilica Cattedrale Patriarcale di San MarcoBasilica di San MarcoBasilica of St. MarkSt. Mark's Basilica
- Listed on
Original St. Mark's Basilica
St. Mark's Basilica burns during riot
Reconstruction of St. Mark's Basilica
Construction begins at the Basilica di San Marco in Venice
Consecration of St. Mark's Basilica
Lower facade of St. Mark's Basilica completed
Horses of St. Mark return to Venice from Paris
- The Grove Encyclopedia of Medieval Art and Architecture. Oxford University Press, USA, 2012, pp. 245-50.
- Krautheimer, Richard. Early Christian and Byzantine Architecture. Yale University Press, 1984, pp. 407-11.
- Official Website of the Basilica of St. Mark. Web. Accessed 1 Nov. 2016. <http://www.basilicasanmarco.it/>
- Maguire, Henry (ed.) and Robert S. Nelson (ed.). San Marco, Byzantium, and the Myths of Venice . Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, 2010.
- Fenlon, Iain. Piazza San Marco. Harvard University Press, 2009.
- Demus, Otto (ed.). The Mosaics of San Marco in Venice . University Of Chicago Press, 1984.
- Demus, Otto and Herbert L. Kessler (ed.). The Mosaic Decoration of San Marco, Venice. University Of Chicago Press, 1988.