Built in 80 CE to host gladiatorial combats and other entertainment, the Colosseum was the largest amphitheatre in the Roman world. Although much damaged and plundered over the centuries, it remains an imposing presence in the heart of Rome.
- Go Historic ID
- Anfiteatro FlavioColosseoColosseum
- 70 CE
Construction of the Colosseum
- 80 CE
Completion of the Colosseum
- Claridge, Amanda. Rome: An Oxford Archaeological Guide, 2nd ed.. Oxford University Press, USA, 2010, pp. 313-19.
- Beard, Mary and Keith Hopkins. The Colosseum. Harvard University Press, 2011.
- Mann, Elizabeth and Michael Racz (illustrator). The Roman Colosseum: The story of the world's most famous stadium and its deadly games . Mikaya Press, 2006.
- Pearson, John. Arena: the story of the Colosseum. McGraw-Hill, 1973.
- Welch, Katherine E.. The Roman Amphitheatre: From its Origins to the Colosseum. Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Connolly, Peter. Colosseum: Rome's Arena of Death. BBC Books, 2003.
- Gabucci, Ada (ed.). The Colosseum. Oxford University Press, USA, 2002.