Lincoln Cathedral is one of the most impressive cathedrals in England, with a cliff-like facade and tall towers that can be seen from miles away.
- Go Historic ID
- Cathedral Church of St Mary and Cloisters and Chapter House and LibrariesCathedral Church of St Mary in LincolnLincoln Cathedral
- 9 May 1092
Consecration of Lincoln Cathedral
Alexander the Magnificent becomes Bishop of Lincoln
Bishop Alexander restores and expands Lincoln Cathedral after fire
Lincoln Cathedral damaged by fire
Earthquake damages Lincoln Cathedral
St. Hugh is Bishop of Lincoln
St. Hugh introduces Gothic style in his reconstruction of Lincoln Cathedral
Lincoln Cathedral's central tower collapses
Central tower of Lincoln Cathedral completed
Spire of Lincoln Cathedral's central tower blows down in storm
Lincoln Cathedral is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.
- List Entry ID
- CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MARY AND CLOISTERS AND CHAPTER HOUSE AND LIBRARIES
- CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MARY AND CLOISTERS AND CHAPTER HOUSE AND LIBRARIES, MINSTER YARD
- Grid Reference
- SK 97796 71808
SK9771NE MINSTER YARD 1941-1/9/224 Cathedral Church of St Mary, 08/10/53 cloisters, chapter house and libraries
Cathedral church with attached cloisters, chapter house and libraries. Established c1072-1092 by Bishop Remigius. Restored and extended following a fire, 1123-1148, for Bishop Alexander. Remodelled c1180-1200 by Richard the Mason and Geoffrey de Noiers for St Hugh of Avalon. Transepts extended and completed c1230-1235 by Michael "magister operis". Crossing tower rebuilt c1240 by master mason Alexander, and heightened 1307-1311 by Richard of Stow. Angel Choir added 1256-1280, probably by Simon de Tresk. Cloisters c1290-1300. Chapter house C13. Song school early C13. Galilee porch, west of south transept, mid C13. Cantelupe Chantry 1355, Fleming chantry 1431 by John Porter, Russell chantry 1494, Langland chantry c1547 by William Kitchin. Old Library c1422. Honywood Library, north of cloister, 1674, by Sir Christopher Wren, with contemporary bookcases. Rooms under west towers c1730 by James Gibbs. Dean Wickham Library 1909-1914 by Hodgson Fowler. Major restorations by James Gibbs, 1725, James Essex, 1761, J C Buckler, mid C19, J L Pearson, 1870-1893, Sir Charles Nicholson and Sir Francis Fox, 1921. Spires removed from towers, 1807. Dressed stone and ashlar, with lead roofs. Romanesque, Early English, Perpendicular and Tudor Revival styles. Latin Cross plan. EXTERIOR: nave with aisles, major and minor transepts, morning chapel, Galilee porch, choir and angel choir, 4 chantries, cloister with library above, chapter house, former library, now cafe...
- Official Website of Lincoln Cathedral. Web. Accessed 1 Nov. 2016. <http://www.lincolncathedral.com/>
- “CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MARY AND CLOISTERS AND CHAPTER HOUSE AND LIBRARIES.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1388680>